June 1, 2015

Saying Goodbye: My First School




The boxes are all packed in my classroom. They are ready, when the time comes, to make the trip down a few roads to their new location in a beautiful and happy school. Now it's time for the boxes in my home to be packed up. They will be making their own trip down the road and into the big city in a few short days.

So, please pardon me while I reminisce and reflect.

I've known that this move was coming all year. Even in August, when Arman and I had been dating for only about 7 months, it was clear to me that we would be starting our new life together before the next school year would begin.

So I approached each special part of this past school year with a constant yet gentle reminder to myself that, in my seventh year here, it would also be the last at this beautiful and inspiring school where I began my teaching career.  

The last preplanning, the last meet your teacher night, the last staff Christmas party, the last cake auction, the last field day, the last happy hour, the last luau, the last hug from this kid or that one...the list goes on.

I taught my students the word "bittersweet" when I announced to them that I would not be returning next year. I can't think of a better word to describe my feelings right now. I told them that I would miss seeing them grow through the rest of their years at our school, but that I was already proud of them for the things that I know they will accomplish.

I told my coworkers that I'm mourning the fact that they will not be there to share with me in this new and exciting part of my life. They're the ones who have been there taking care of me as I grew from a baby teacher into an experienced one. Now, I'm leaving the nest and I will so miss their care, comfort, and encouragement. They are my family and I will miss them terribly.

Yep, it's a bittersweet time.

But the things that stick with me go far beyond events, traditions, and daily routines that have structured my time at this school. I've gained confidence, grown kindness, and developed my craft as a teacher. Truly, I know that these are the things that will surface when I need them most. I have probably changed and grown as a teacher more in this place than I ever will in another.

I've been so shaped by this place that it will never leave me, although I leave it. 

How lucky and blessed I have been!




2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad that you found me! This post couldn't be more perfect, as I am feeling all of those same feels! It's so bittersweet. I am going to miss my school family incredibly much!

    I grew up in Atlanta, so I'm technically moving home, but still nervous about the move and the new school. I am jealous that you get to stay in 2nd grade! I am praying daily that I will love 4th grade and that my new team is as great as my current team.

    I'm your newest follower! Good luck with your move!

    Kristin
    School and the City

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad that you found me! This post couldn't be more perfect, as I am feeling all of those same feels! It's so bittersweet. I am going to miss my school family incredibly much!

    I grew up in Atlanta, so I'm technically moving home, but still nervous about the move and the new school. I am jealous that you get to stay in 2nd grade! I am praying daily that I will love 4th grade and that my new team is as great as my current team.

    I'm your newest follower! Good luck with your move!

    Kristin
    School and the City

    ReplyDelete