March 13, 2015

Freebie Friday: Smart Cookies Opinion Writing





Teaching Blog Addict Freebie Downloads

For the last several years, I have introduced Opinion writing through the OREO graphic organizer. So, when I decided to finally take the plunge into TPT selling and teacher blogging,  I decided to start with the unit I have created around the organizer. So, a small sample of the Smart Cookie Opinion Writing pack is my featured freebie for the store!

Click on the picture!


When I used this unit with my class, I presented them with the question, "In your opinion, what is the best cookie?" I modeled writing about my favorite cookies, Oreos, and served up a double stuffed Oreo to everyone at the end of the lesson. For the rest of the week, we focused on understanding how to organize opinion writing with an Opinion, Reasons, Examples, and a closing Opinion. We also focused on understanding the difference between Reasons and Examples and learning new transition words to use (For example, like, and in addition). We added sentence starters to our anchor charts to help with this concept. These lessons were great anchors to build on through the rest of our study on Opinion Writing!Although this one is not free, the full unit is also up for sale on my TPT site. In fact, it is discounted this weekend. You will find many levels of rubric, checklists, feedback, worksheets, organizers, and publishing paper. 



Click on the picture!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing on Teaching Blog Addict's Freebie Friday.

    ReplyDelete