June 10, 2016

Taking An Uncomfortable Rest

So I've been out of school for a week now, and I just have to admit: I am in a Summer Funk. I don't know if anyone out in teacher world can relate to this at all, because we're all supposed to be jumping up and down in our neighborhood pools yelling, "Yay! Summer! Freedom! Relaxation! Recuperation! Whoo hoo!" But, that's my truth.

Whenever there are transitions in my life like this, it takes a little while for me to get settled into them. First of all, there is a bit of a sadness about the end of a great year with a class you've poured your heart and soul into. Then, there is all of this slow free time that is just lovely but also daunting for those of us who love routine and being busy. It's just plain uncomfortable!

And yes, a lot of this has to do with my time in life. Newly married, no children, living in a new city... I would probably feel a lot better if I would just get super busy and make as many plans as possible, but I know the rest is important. Even if it's uncomfortable.

Personal trainers always tout the benefits of rest days, or even weeks, on our bodies, and it makes sense to me that this can apply to all facets of our lives. Do you need rest from something in your life?

Creative Rest?
    Emotional Rest?
        Spiritual Rest?
           Physical Rest?


For me, the answer to all of these is YES. There will be time for reflection and growth soon. But for now, I will be working on taking an Uncomfortable Rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment