April 10, 2015

Five for Friday



fiveforfriday2_thumb[3]

Divider 1

This weekend was parent meet up weekend! This was the first time that my parents and my fiance's parents met each other. Aren't they cute in their picture together? They will see each other again in October for our wedding! We are so excited about creating our own family together and joining each other's families, so it was really nice to spend Easter with some of them. I made deviled eggs, my parents brought the green beans, and my future in laws fried up the lumpia...so I was a happy girl!
Divider 2

Also, speaking of Easter, I saw a bunny hopping around downtown. On a leash. With a cute pink flower on her collar. What? I just had to snap a picture of that!
Divider 3

We got to go on a field trip to the University this week for some health education. I don't think I have ever been on the basketball court before, so I definitely enjoyed myself!
Divider 4

In the fourth quarter, we always review all of our genres of writing. For informational writing, I decided to let my students pick a topic for us to research using books, the internet, articles, and a chapter book (for which I required them to use the index). They then created brochures to show what they learned. The kids were highly motivated to find out about the Titanic, but I think they were a little caught off guard by how serious the topic turned out to be. Which to me, means they really were learning through their research. I've never used post-its before for brochure creation, but it was nice to allow them some flexibility with their layout this way. I wish I had gotten a better picture of someone's final product! 
Divider 5


This is by far one of my favorite days of teaching fractions: the "Which is more?" question! We get to have really deep conversations and my kids actually realize that they are learning something difficult and new. I love seeing them go from a misconception, to a little bit of confusion, to working through it, and finally, to hopefully really understanding that all halves (or fourths) of the same shape are actually the same amount (or area). 


3 comments:

  1. Parent meet up is always exciting. I am glad it went well. Make sure at the wedding somebody makes a take-out snack bag for you. We were starving when we got to our hotel because we didn't get to eat after dinner. Congratulations!
    Kovescence of the Mind

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Stephanie! I found your blog through Five for Friday Linky :) Congratulations on a big event you have planned! You guys seem so happy!

    I love your idea of reviewing different jenres of writing towards the end of the year. What grade do you teach?

    Vilena
    Classroom in Paradise

    ReplyDelete